• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the G100 Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New Build - Post Issues with 2 sticks of RAM

B

BilfurChubbs

Tech Intern
Reaction score
SPECS
MOBO: ASRock PG z790 Riptide Wifi
RAM: 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz DDR5 (CMK64GX5M2B5600C40)
CPU: Intel i7 13700k
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer 3
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4070ti Super Windforce OC
PSU: SilverStone Hela 850R (850w)

Hi Guys,

New build here (one month old). Basically, it has worked for full days at a time with two sticks of RAM, but typically it does't want to cold-boot (first boot in the morning), unless I remove a stick. It will either enter a re-boot cycle, or no signal will get to the monitor. In each scenario the DRAM LED will be lit on the motherboard. It will almost always post with one stick (it's only failed once with one, but a quick swap with the other stick sorted that).

Naturally this leads me to think I have faulty RAM, but, they both work individually in the 4th slot (where the mobo manufacturer recommends one stick should be used).

Ealier today whilst playing a game, and not a particularly demanding one, it crashed, the signal to the monitor cut out, and the fans kicked in REALLY loud. This was with only one stick installed.

When both sticks are installed and the PC decides to work, everything is recognised in Task Manager, HWinfo etc. Although it will sometimes display the RAM frequency as 3600mhz, but then after 30 mins or so it will correct itself to 5600mhz. Weird, I know.

The RAM is QVL with the mobo.

I've enabled XMP 3.0,
Updated the BIOS to the latest version 7.06
Tried both sticks in slots 1 and 3 instead of the recommended 2 and 4 - didn't post.

Do you guys have any further recommendations?

Thanks!
Last edited: